Wednesday, June 6, 2007

You don't do heavy metal in Dubly, you know...

It happens to us all at some time or another. You know, when you know what you wanted to say but you either can't think of the correct word or you just slip up and say something else instead... or you just don't know what in the hell you're talking about but still want to sound like you do. Jeanine did it in "This is Spinal Tap," saying "Dubly" instead of Dolby in reference to how Tap's "Smell the Glove" album sounded.

Well, it's happened twice in as many days at my house and, of course, it's been hilarious.

Two evenings ago at supper, Tater (my youngest son and resident chatterbox) was talking about something that had absolutely nothing to do with anything anybody else was saying, as usual. He looked at me and asked if I could sing "that slipper song."

"What 'slipper' song do you mean, son?" I inquired.

"You know the one, Mom. About the SLIPPERS!" His frustration grew and he gave me that exasperated 'how could you be so DUMB, Mom' look and rolled his eyes at me.

I racked my brain, trying to recall perhaps a children's song about Cinderella or something. No luck.

"I still don't know the one you're talking about, Tater."

We went back and forth at this a few more times, until he finally gave me a better clue.

"You know, Mom. 'Don't step on the blue slippers.'" He matter-of-factly replied.

"OH! Do you mean 'Blue Suede Shoes?' 'Don't step on my blue suede shoes?'" I did my best to hold back the chuckles. My husband was already on the verge of tears.

Well, you can burn my house
Steal my car
Drink my liquor from an old fruit jar
You can do anything that you wanna do
But, uh-uh, Honey, lay off of them shoes
Now, don't you step on my blue suede slippers...

I wouldn't mind a pair of those, myself.

Last night at supper (is this a pattern we see developing?), we were having lasagna and garlic bread. Mr. Brady's oldest son, 12-year-old Jon, kept asking for "vinegar."

"Can I have another piece of vinegar?"

Vinegar? A piece of vinegar?

"Do you mean a piece of garlic bread, Jon?" I inquired.

"Yes. Garlic bread. Can I have some?"

How in the world he got "vinegar" from garlic bread, I'm sure I'll never know.

Hey, it was funny at the time! I guess it would have sounded better in Dubly.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Did you ASK him how he got vinegar from garlic bread? I mean garlic bread in a descriptive name. lol
I'd be curious about that answer myself. :)